Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Normal People

I will begin this rant with an apology. I have had a substantial ammount of red wine, but I think it will help with my creativity. Most of the great writers drank, or smoked opium...
Anyway, my good friend returned from overseas on Friday. Today we went for a drive to the Barossa. Normally that would mean returning with copius amounts of wine, but we have about a pallette (24 dozen) between us at the moment, so thought we might drink that and then buy some...just a thought.
So we caught up on the past few months of each others lives. Her stories being somewhat more interesting than mine, seeing that she has been touring Europe and I have been going to TAFE, work and the pub...
I have always been told I'm a bit weird, unusual, unique and odd. Over the past few weeks though it seems to have become more frequent. So for the first time in my life, I started to actually give some thought to the whole subject of 'Normality'.
I have quizzed a number of my friends. My favourite quote being from a friend who proudly proclaimed he was "downright eccentric" and he is by the way, that's why I like him. The majority of my friends would say I am odd. That's okay though, they would also say they are somewhat left of centre.
Our conversation today really set in cement my sentiments on the subject. It is quite simple. Those who conform to normality (by the way I include all cliques in this category cos you are in fact conforming to a clique) are missing out on life. The people who keep up with the Joneses. Buy a house in Suburbia, get a big TV and a family car, go shopping in Bali and Skiing at Falls Creek. Wear 'safe' clothes and vote for Mike Rann because they can't remember the other guys name. Those who frown upon living in the moment. You are missing the point of life as I see it.
Life is a gift. If you are reading this, it is a gift you have been given. DON'T WASTE IT. Don't play it safe. Grab the bull by the horns and follow your heart, no matter what you are leaving behind. It will still be there when you get back.
Today I was in Lyndoch. I am 22 years old. I am an adult. I walked through a park. In that park was a play ground. I thought to myself, do you know its been ten years since I have had a swing... So I did just that. I had a swing readers. It was lovelly. I was looking out over vineyards, a favourite sight of mine. Weather was pleasant, was with one of my best friends, and had a swing. It was fun. A simple thing, but it made me incredibly happy. Now, while I performed this act. There was a father and daughter at the playground. The father looked at me with some suspiscion. Why is she on a swing? she is too old for that. You don't see me on a swing.
Well perhaps if those people, who are 'normal'. Who do as is expected, pulled their heads out of their backsides, had an independent thought, realised that life is about more than having the biggest house on the street. Maybe if they had a swing, or went out for a big night on brittos. Perhaps if they stopped looking at those of us who grab the bull by the horns and don't let go, then we would live in a happier world.
Those of us who fall into the unique individuals category, we may be odd, eccentric ans a bit weird, but hey, life is fun for us. Is it fun to be you? If it isnt let me give you one final piece of advice...Life is a banquet and most poor fools are starving to death. So have a second slice of the cake of life, this is no time to diet. Take a dash of eccentricity and hold on tight.
You never hear of the 'odd' people in the world judging the 'normal' people. But the 'normal' people often look down on us. I am proud of my eccentricity, it means I am always entertained. There is a bright side to everything...Leper colonies are in nice places, Skitzophrenics are never lonely. Okay that one was in poor taste but hey, you get that.

Peace, Love and I'm an individual you can't fool me

No comments: