Saturday, August 18, 2007

Bizzarre Eating Habbits....

Ok. Another blog of a culinary nature.
In recent times, I have been discussing food with a number of people. Possibly because of my cullinary career. Now I am often told, I am odd. Just in general. Also that my eating habbits are strange, simply because I like to go to a market buy something I have never heard of before, google it and eat it.
Now, yes my favourite meat is crocodile. I am the ambassador for Celeriac. I am a fan of Jellyfish and I have eaten goat testicles, and deep fried cod sperm. I wont eat sharks fin, monkey brains or birds nest, all for political and animal cruelty reasons. Other than human, that is about the extent of my cullinary restraints. Anything else I'll have a go at.
Now readers, I can see the screwed up faces, the rolling eyes and hear the "ewww gross" coming from your mouths as you read this little rant of mine. Thats fine. If you think my eating habbits are weird, thats cool. But now I am going to tell you what I think constitutes strange eating habbits....are you ready here we go.
I have recently been at the front of the great pine nut debate. My friend not only dislikes pine nuts, but fears them. Is this not a bit odd? I ask you pine nuts evoking fear and terror in diners is that normal?
I discovered that another friend only eats fuji apples. This one gets me, surely it is better to eat apples as they are at their peak, so choose a variety to suit the time of year. Or if you are going to be selective, choose the generally accepted luxury apple, the cream of the crop so to speak, the pink lady, which by the way are fabulous poached in champagne and served with a cinnamon and vanilla spiced cream.
A fellow commercial cookery student only eats the inner core of the carrot. he will not eat the outer section just the moist inner core. Next time you cut a carrot have a look and see the tiny part he uses and disposes of the rest. Its insanity!
Finally, the most bizzare of all. Bean Paste. Sweet Bean Paste is the bain of my exixstence. It is a key ingredient in many asian desserts. Asian desserts as a general rule aren't really my scene, but there are some exceptions. Sweet bean paste is a horrible texture, its overly sweet and yet suprisingly beany, its just wrong. The worst part is they take a perfectly good dish of beautifully crafted green tea ice cream and put that crap on top. Its the equivalent of taking a hand crafted fresh pear and pistachio semi freddo and putting Ice magic on top! Its ludicrous!
Anyway, I just though it was my turn to comment on other peoples eating habbits for a change!

Peace, love and a bean paste free world

No comments: